Monday, June 2, 2008

'Why Do I Still Have This CD?' - Morrissey -'Southpaw Grammar' (1995)

Photobucket

My man, The Mozzer.

I came across this CD as I was perusing a used section somewhere. I wasn't even aware that it had come out when it was released. My loyalty to Morrissey had waned; I had moved onto new sounds, I was creating new sounds and I guess at the time of this CD's release, I just didn't have space for Poor Stephen.

I was a big Smiths fan. I could sing all of 'Meat Is Murder', front-to-back. 'The Queen Is Dead' still ranks amongst my favorite albums and I stayed onboard through the beginning of Morrissey's solo-career. Behold one of the most wicked riffs of the 80's, kiddies. 'How Soon Is Now?' changed a lotta what Rusty thought about Music...



...of course, in the wrong hands, anything can be turned to total crap...





'Southpaw Grammar' opens with the most remarkable orchestral sound, a sample looped driving the record. A Morrissey record opening with a sample? A SAMPLE? Yep, and used to remarkable effect to my ears. Many did not agree. I'm also certain that the length of the opening and closing tracks, both clocking in at over ten minutes might have been a bit off-putting to a lotta people who had still holding their gladioli aloft for their hero. The fourth track 'The Operation' opens with a TWO-MINUTE DRUM-SOLO, for God's sake. It seemed as if Morrissey had found 'self-indulgence' while I was away. It is universally acknowledged as Morrissey making an album he wanted to make, if simply for himself. I have never heard any of the hardcore Smiths/Morrissey fans I know speak of it. It's as if it just appeared and disappeared.

I can't tell you a whole lot more about this album, but this opening track still gives me goosebumps. Check it out for yourself.

MORRISSEY - 'The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils'

2 comments:

Mary Lee Pappas said...

He knows just how you feel. That's why.

Rusty Redenbacher said...

"Morrissey feels MEEEEEE......!"

at least that's what every teenager with a bad haircut and acne thought in the mid 80's