Sunday, June 1, 2008

'Why Do I Still Have This CD?' - Carly Simon, 'No Secrets' (1972)

Carly 'No Secrets'

'Yeah, Russ; that is NOT 'hood', bruh. Bumpin' Carly Simon is NOT 'hood'."

Oh, I know.

She just has one of THOSE voices. She writes GREAT songs. This 'No Secrets' is one of those sentimental CD's. I remember seeing this album in my Mom's stack of LP's.

The cover image has always stuck in my mind. Now that I am older, I recognize there was a lot more going on in that picture than a child could pick up.

It is decidedly unposed, Carly is happily letting the girls fly AND smuggling raisins, and what is with the bag? That bag is huge...like you could carry a change-of-clothes in it. Ladies and gentlemen, you are seeing a woman on-the-go, but where is she going...and where is she coming from? The look on her face is priceless, too; as if to say. 'You got me...'. (I wonder if she knows she is throwing the universal set-up for a 'punch for lookin' right below the typography for the title...)

Here's the opening track and the cover image...check it out, it's the 'Right Thing To Do'.




This of course, the album with 'You're So Vain' on it, as well. My Mama noted in my 'Baby Book' that is one of the first songs I sang along to. I'll bet I thought that song was about me. I'll still jump in and sing along with that tune whenever I hear it. There's a coupla lines in that tune that automatically set off visual images in my young mind...

'You walked into the party
Like you were walking onto a yacht.'



The realest person on there was Lawanda 'Aunt Esther' Page.

Photobucket

Watch it, sucka. I'm having dreams, there were clouds in my coffee...

'No Secrets' is my favorite Carly Simon album mainly because it was the only one I really needed for a long time. Whenever it was time to go back to comfort, I had my Carly. 'The Right Thing To Do', 'The Carter Family', 'We Have No Secrets'; this was all I needed for a while. There was actually a Summer Sojourn to Gary, IN where I fell in love with a copy of 'Boys In The Trees'. My Aunt jessie actually heard me singing 'Tranquillo' VERY LOUDLY in the shower. Very unhip... 'You Belong To Me' is also on that album, featuring the velveteen backing vocals of Michael McDonald. Badass tune...

I guess I always hear something that reminds me of 'Home' in this album. Click the title of the post to see what muh girl is up to.

No comments: