Thursday, June 12, 2008

What Goes ON? Three SHOWS this weekend



I've got a few shows this weekend. What is interesting about this is that this is the first time I have had a chance to do ALL my thangs in the same week.

Tomorrow, Friday the 13th, I will be rocking the set with LAZARUS at the Melody Inn. I'm geeked about this; we haven't played since April and this set should be fun. I really enjoy the Mel; it's got that 'old rock bar' thing down pat. It just LOOKS like the place to take great band-shots. The crowds are always lively, the beer is cheap, and the sound is surprisingly awesome for such a small room. I've never actually played a show there (that I can recall off the top of my head), although my man, Ahmski, and I did host the first MC Battles there (The 'Melody Massacres', where many a great MC was knocked down a peg or two and many MC's came to realize their true potential) I have always wanted to play a ROCK show at the Mel; tomorrow, it happens.

(side note: Ahmski (Ahmed) is an absolutely SICK rapper. He was in a group called 'Play Cuzinz' with another unbelievable cat named 'Zone'. I have some of their demos, but they ain't in this computer; once I get them uploaded to IMEEM, I'll post them. To this day, I'll tell you that I believe that the 'Play Cuzinz' is one of the illest groups I have seen around here. I only saw them perform twice, but they were stellar both times. Check for them.)

After the LAZARUS set at the Melody, I'll shoot over to the Tip-Top Tavern for a set of my solo-material. I've performed in this room once before and that time sucked. I am sure that tomorrow will go much better, as they are under new managment, have updated the sound-system, and gotten rid of some of the miscreants that were on staff. There have been some bad-ass shows there in the last month or so. I'm really excited to get an opportunity to play this stuff, but the idea of being onstage by myself is rather daunting. I've always had somebody up there with me. Tomorrow night, it's all on me; I DJed the set, I've gotta put in this work to memorize it and get it right in my head. It's kinda stressful, to be frank, but I am ready to rise to the challenge. Dammit, if you want people to know what you are doing , you hafta go and DO it, in their faces, and you better damn-well hold your own. I will.

Saturday morning, I cannot afford to hit the 'snooze' button. MUDKIDS will be opening the Independent Music and Arts Festival at the Harrison Center for the Arts. We play at 11 a.m., which is far from a standard hip-hop 'wake-up time', but we will be raring to go. DJ Helicon and I will be playing a set heavy on new material from 'We Are Dynamic And People Like Us' and with the early start, bringing the kids is definitely an option. Yuh know we'll keep it clean for ya.

I hope to see y'all at one of these events...Don't forget the BLACK SHEEP show at SPIN, Thursday, June 19. 

Photobucket


1 comment:

Sage said...

It's gonna be a crazy weekend huh? I'm rallying my troops to come out and support, you know I'll be there.

Signed your biggest fan,

Sage