Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A-B-C. Easy as 1-2-3. Dizzy Yung and the Ol' Timer.

Rusty and Dizzy (1/11/08)

That's my man, Dizzy, from The Cleptoz, one of Nap's most popular hip-hop groups. Say what you will, those cats hustle. I actually DJed for them for awhile; loved performing with these cats. They play a tight, high-powered, high-energy, non-stop banging show, they promote the hell outta themselves and they genuinely seem to love what they do. Their show has never lost steam as the years have gone on, in fact it's gotten stronger. They've always shown me a great deal of respect and I can dig it. I got it right back for 'em. I love them dudes. As soon as I get an MP3 of some of their new stuff, as well as the cut I did with Hum. V, I'll post them for you to check out. Some of you may already be familiar with my man, Hum. V, also from the Cleptoz; he's working on some stuff on his own and making some noise on the radio.

Dizzy had this acapella joint he would do during the show (if he felt like it!). I don't even know what it was called, but I noted it the first time I heard him do it cuz it set the crowd OFF. He'd spit bars, all in alphabetical order. First bar = 'A', second bar = 'B', and so on and so forth all the way to 'Z'. People would usually go ballistic when the kid got around the 'JKLMNOP' set, once they realized what he was doing. It was some fly shit. I remember telling Dizzy one night, "Yo, you're dope. You gotta dope voice, now just figure out what you wanna say, cuz people will listen."

It is one thing to hold a crowd with your bangers, but when you truly turn it out with an acapella, you're winning. The cat had people listening. That's the best reward an MC can ask for; when the people freak, you really get it back. The time you spent crafting that verse, promoting your band, and getting your show tight so you don't look like an ass when your fans get there is paying off. You lock eyes with someone and you know they are 'getting it', there ain't nothing like it. Making that connection with a room full of people is an amazing feeling. I still get goosebumps when I can hear the crowd rapping along with me. Still.

Diz stopped doing the 'ABC' joint after a while. I asked him why and he let me know that he was just kinda 'over it'. I am also sure that he probably heard a few people compare his 'ABC' song to Blackalicious' Alphabet Aerobics'. They do share pretty much the same concept. I told him that you can't start worrying about that.

I can't tell you how many times I "just thought of that" when I heard somebody spit it the next day or week. It just happens, man. Ain't nobody about to stop rhyming about 'girls', 'cars', 'money', and what-have-you; people knock heads on concepts all the dang time. Man, do YOU. If the people are feeling it and you are feeling the people, you are doing the right thing.

Dizzy has a new track posted at my man, Romer's blog I'll let you know when my guys are playing next. I wish I had Dizzy's 'ABC' joint so I could post it for you. I don't even know if there is a recorded version I guess you'll hafta go see them live (and if y'all see me in the place, y'all better do that joint for me!). That dude, Dizzy is particularly ill; watch him and tell him to do that 'ABC' shit...

I do have the Blackalicious track, y'all...


MP3:
BLACKALICIOUS - 'Alphabet Aerobics (The Cut Chemist 2 1/2 Minute Workout)'


And what? Did y'all forget about Third Bass? I wonder if Gift Of Gab caught the blues from his buddies about Allan. There is nothing new under the sun. This might actually be the reason I still have this CD. It sure ain't 'Pop Goes The Weasel'.

Photobucket

I told you; I stick with my people...but why do I still have this?

Photobucket

We'll talk more about that later. Check out my man, Allan. "NO! Don't try and steal my spot! This is my spot!". I LOVE this track.

MP3:
THIRD BASS 'Al'z A-B-Cee'z'

and I am pretty sure y'all know who started this shit for real, though. DON MUSIC up in this joint.

No comments: