Friday, June 13, 2008

Beta Male - 'Husband's Girlfriend'

Photobucket

Beta Male is one of the most exciting new bands I've seen in a while. P. David Hazel is a phenomenal songwriter with a stone-cold sense of melody and structure. He's also a nice as hell dude. I was trippin' when I saw their stage set-up; Dave sets up in the front with his drums, the guitar and bass play the back and these two badass rockin' chicks man the keys on his side. I knew when I saw them that they were on their own thang.

Photobucket

Beta Male also employs the talents of his lovely wife, Allison, as well as the legendary Vess Ruhtenberg, Tyler Bowman, and Jess Hack. I hate to write that they sound like 'this-meets-this-band'; that style of rock journalism is so tired to me. They don't look like NOBODY, they sound like 'BETA MALE'.

Beta Male has an good-size 80's influence, but what they do is wholly modern and wholly their own. Allison brings showmanship to the stage as well as anyone I have seen before. She rocks the whole time, talks some good shit between songs, and is behind a lotta the way that the ladies in the group are represented visually, as well as sonically and socially. She's a strong lady, yo. I've told her that she has a 'Bowie-esque' quality; very chameleonic and charismatic, but she is also quite the provocateur. Jess is like her quiet, stoic counterpart, bookending cool Dave. It's an awesome look and sound, to be sure.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Really feeling this jammie-jam here. I had to wait to get the okay on it before I posted it. I had a previous mix of this record, but I had to wait to get the final version. I told P. David that I wanted to feature them here and I would be using IMEEM to post their joint. The next day, my man had an IMEEM account too...and here's that good shit I was talking about.

I have always said that any group with two or more family members in it is worth listening to. Here's further proof. Their full EP is available online at iTunes, get that shit NOW.

BETA MALE - 'Husband's Girlfriend'

Husbands Girlfriend - Beta Male

...and I owe these guys a video appearance...fucking pneumonia, man. I WILL make the next one, yo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whoa, nuts, my friend JAR just got them to play a show on the 4th at Pendleton Reformatory.....weird huh??? peace Rusty.!

matt fresh