Monday, June 2, 2008

John Lee Hooker - 'I'm Bad Like Jesse James'

This is OG shit, to say the least...



I first heard this song on a John Lee Hooker anthology. The version I am familiar with is performed by John Lee with a full band. It's just as sinister as the solo performance. I was struck by how authentic it sounded. It is truly threatening and officially wicked. I like to refer this song as 'the start of that gangsta shit'. John Lee is pulling no punches. He's been screwed over and he ain't happy about it.

"I got three boys
Do my dirty work.
Now you don't see me
I'm the big boss
I do the payoff
After they take care of you
In they own way
They may shoot you,
They may cut you,
They may drown you,
I just don't know
I don't care
As long as they take care of you
In they own way
I'm so mad."

Shit, yeah. If you don't feel somethin', you ain't feeling nothin'. Here's the version that had me buying John Lee Hooker records, trying to catch up with this baaaaaad man. Click the title and get maaaaaaaaad.

MP3;
JOHN LEE HOOKER - 'I'm Bad Like Jesse James'

No comments: