Friday, May 30, 2008

Philinthecircle - Goodbye Art

This is a cat that I have been watching and following for a while. He's a Artist from Seattle named Phil Hansen that does remarkable stuff. He's on Youtube under the name 'Philinthecircle'

I stumbled upon his work when I was searching Youtube for an opening-credit sequence from an old Jimi Hendrix documentary. The clip I was looking for was this cat 'speed-painting' Jimi on a wall. It was the first time I had ever seen anybody do anything like that, I must have been 12 or 13 when I saw it. The image of this dude, seemingly randomly splashing paint on this wall and Jimi appearing outta these random splashes has stuck with me since I first saw it. I haven't found this clip on Youtube and if anyone can discern what Jimi flick I am talking about and/or has the clip I'd love to see it again. Shoot me a link, wouldja?

As I was searching the 'Tube, I fell upon Philinthecircle. I'm including my three favorite clips thus far, as well as the links to his joints in general, so you can go and check them all out yourself. He's well worth checking out. And when you see what he does with the final products in his 'Goodbye Art' series, you'll appreciate what you've seen that much more.

PHILINTHECIRCLE

http://youtube.com/user/Philinthecircle

http://philinthecircle.com






1 comment:

Joe Reuter said...

man - the Jimi Hendrix matchstick piece was unbelievable, and probably more than a little appropriate.

The internet has really opened my eyes to a lot of art I would have never gotten to experience otherwise. It's pretty amazing what people are doing with these new mediums.

Even purely digital art occasionally has it's stunners. This particular video blew my mind... Van Gogh's Starry Night created in the SecondLife Virtual World in 3 dimensions - sort of humbling when you think that even Van Gogh himself didn't know what the back of those buildings looked like - but amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxVDVggLqsA

more from the artist on how it was done...
http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2007/07/remake-the-star.html#more